The season of awards in Bollywood is in full swing. It looks really idiotic when each award ceremony is differently awarding Best Actors, Best Actresses or Best Films. It looks a deceiving game of favouritism. The harsh reality is that the majority in the industry don’t take these award ceremonies seriously. Many top actors don’t even attend these ceremonies. We have far too many filmy award functions in Bollywood. These award functions have become more of a gimmick. Nobody cares who win the awards and the host of these award functions gets more attention than the winners. The television audience is enjoying the gimmicks of the host, the entertaining dances by top actors rather than the people winning the awards. This is what it has come to.
The Filmfare Awards had its charm and seem to be reliable few years back but now it looks same like other filmy awards function. Today any actor values only one award in our country and that it is the National Awards. The rest is more like a farce.
In one of those functions, Aishwariya Rai Bachchan was awarded Best Actress for ‘Jazbaa’. What a joke? Kangana Ranaut’s top class performance in ‘Tanu Weds Manu 2’ has been ignored in these functions. For many of us, Kangana’s performance was one of the best for female actors last year. But Deepika Padukone being a bigger star is collecting the awards everywhere. There is no denial that Deepika’s acting performance in ‘Piku’ was not good but Kangana Ranaut was more outstanding in her double role.
Shah Rukh Khan winning the Popular Actor award for ‘Dilwale’ is another proof that these awards are insulting the intelligence of people. The film has failed to live up to the expectations at the domestic box office and also has been panned by critics. These award functions look to be power game battles for top actors. It is time to put an end to all these shows and value the performances in the most deserved way. In the meantime, keep watching the choreographed dances in those shows because this is what it is all about, and some bland jokes.
My personal choice of awards list would be:
• Best Film – Bajrangi Bhaijaan
• Best Director – Kabir Khan (Bajrangi Bhaijaan)
• Best Actor – Amitabh Bachchan (Piku) & Akshay Kumar (Baby)
• Best Actress – Kangana Ranaut (Tanu Weds Manu 2)
• Best Supporting Actor – Nawazzudin Siddiqui (Bajrangi Bhaijaan)
• Best Supporting Actress – Priyanka Chopra (Bajirao Mastani)
• Best Villain – Nawazzudin Siddiqui (Badlapur)
• Best Debut Male Actor – Omkar Kapoor (Pyar Ka Punchnama 2)
• Best Debut Female Actor – Athiya Shetty (Hero)
• Best Actor in Comic Role – Deepak Dobriyal (Tanu Weds Manu 2) & Karthik Tiwari (Pyar Ka
• Best Story – Bajrangi Bhaijaan
• Best Screenplay – Bajrangi Bhaijaan
• Best Child Actor – Harshali Malhotra (Bajraangi Bhaijaan)
• Box Office Male Superstar of 2015: Salman Khan (Bajrangi Bhaijaan & Prem Ratan Dhan Payo)
• Box Office Female Superstar of 2015: Deepika Padukone (Piku & Bajirao Mastani)
• Best Music – Sanjay Leela Bhansali (Bajirao Mastani)
• Best Male Playback Singer – Arjit Singh (Roy)
• Best Female Playback Singer – Palak Muchal (Prem Ratan Dhan Payo)
• Best Critics Film – Masaan
• Best Critic Actor – Irfaan Khan (Talvar)
• Best Critic Actress – Konkana Sen (Talvar)
Disclaimer: The preceding article was solely written by the author named above. Any views and opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by KiaGia.com. Questions or concerns about the preceding article can be directed to the author or posted as a comment below.