Latest Trade News
– Aamir Khan’s ‘Dangal’ which releases this Friday, will be the first Hindi film releasing in Pakistan post the very famous ban. Pakistani film exhibitors and cinema owners are now soon going to release Hindi films in Pakistan, putting an end to the self-imposed ban on screening of Indian films. The Pakistan Film Exhibitors and Distributors Association which had announced to temporarily stop screening Indian films soon after the Indian Motion Pictures Producers’ Association (IMPPA) announced a ban on Pakistani artistes and technicians working in India last September, after exhaustive discussion with parties concerned, has decided to resume the screening of Indian films from 19 December. “The cinema owners and other stakeholders in the industry have been hit by the decision to impose a temporary suspension on screening of Indian films. A lot of investment has been made into upgrading or building new cineplexes and multiplexes and the business at this time is dependent on screening of latest Indian films,” said Zoraish Lashari, Chairman of the Film Exhibitors Association, Pakistan.
– Ram Gopal Varma’s much awaited ‘Sarkar 3’s first teaser will be unveiled on 13 January, on Bal Thackeray’s birth anniversary. According to reports, the character Amitabh Bachchan plays in the film is inspired by Bal Thackeray. Big B’s look, dress up and even his dialogues have been highly animated by the Shiv Sena charismatic supremo and that’s why the filmmakers want to release its first look on his special day. ‘Sarkar 3’ also stars Jackie Shroff, Manoj Bajpayee, Yami Gautam, Ronit Roy and Amit Sadh, is slated to release on 17 March 2017.
– Despite his over-promoted debut in Salman Khan’s ‘Hero Remake’, Sooraj Pancholi’s career is not shaping well. It has been almost two years since his Bollywood entry but Sooraj is still missing from the silver screen. Before ‘Hero’s release, rumours about his movie contract with multiple directors were doing the rounds but after the box office debacle of his very first film, all those speculations turned out to be false. His second film was supposed to be with Remo D’Souza, also starring Ajay Devgn. But both Remo and Ajay are busy with their respective films, keeping this Sooraj Pancholi project aside. The action movie which was actually planned to go on floors in August this year, will hopefully now begin in mid 2017. But before that, Sooraj Pancholi has signed Kumar Mangat’s production house Panorama Studios’ next romantic-action thriller. Faruk Kabir who has earlier directed Ajay Devgn in the short film ‘The Awakening’ and Naseeruddin Shah, in his debut feature film ‘Allah Ke Banday’, has been roped in to helm this yet-untitled movie. For the role of lead actress, the studio has reportedly approached Kiara Advani and Disha Patani. One will be chosen according to the availability of their dates.
– If you are missing Chitrangada Singh (‘Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi’, ‘Sorry Bhai!’, ‘Desi Boyz’) on silver screen then the wait is soon going to over as the actress has started shooting for her next film. Chitrangada who was last seen in an item number in Akshy Kumar’s ‘Gabbar Is Back’ two years back, has signed ‘JAL’ fame director Girish Malik’s next women-oriented movie. Tentatively titled ‘Rockstar’, the film narrates the story about the fall of a female rockstar. More details have been kept under wraps for now.
– Filmmaker Rajshree Ojha who last directed Sonam Kapoor starrer ‘Aisha’, is returning to direction after six years. Ojha has already finalized his script and is currently working on the casting. This yet-untitled movie is said to be based on the real story of all girl Kashmiri rock band called, Pragaash. Saiyami Kher who made her debut opposite Harshvardhan Kapoor in this year’s biggest flop, Omprakash Mehra’s ‘Mirziya’ has been finalized for a lead role while the scout for other actresses to play the rest of the band members is still on. If reports are to be believed, this film was actually first offered to Alia Bhatt but her dates didn’t work out. Nawazuddin Siddiqui is also in talks for the lead role but nothing is confirmed about him yet.
– Ajay Devgn films and producer Abhinav Shukla’s Watergate Motion Pictures have joined hands to constitute a joint venture. The two companies have tied up to develop and produce regional films, web series and television shows with a mutual commitment to quality premium entertainment. The announcement about this joint venture is going to be revealed very soon.
– Shah Rukh Khan’s production company Red Chillies Entertainment has inked an exclusive deal with Netflix, which gives its valued subscribers access to more than ten of SRK’s films as well as his new films over the next three years. The recently released ‘Dear Zindagi’ will be available soon too.
– Trust Aamir Khan to come up with new marketing strategies to promote his films. The latest is the timing of the release of the teaser of his next production venture, ‘Secret Superstar’, which is to release on 4 August 2017. It shows Mr. Perfectionist in a ‘superstar-cum-mentor’ role with her ‘Dangal’ daughter, Zaira Wasim, who wants to make it big in the music charts. Well, this is just another marketing gimmick for ‘Dangal’.
– Salman Khan and Iulia Vantur’s alleged relationship reports have been beaten to death in major tabloids that it seems that no-one cares anymore about them, if seen together, alone or in close family circles.
Best Tweets of the Week
@iamsrk – Yeh jo Des hai mera Swades hai mera..Can’t thx Ashutosh enuff for such a lovely film.Whole cast/crew had such faith in goodness & Indianness
@aamir_khan – To all those who complain that I come once in two years… https://youtu.be/P6jaRsnchro
@BeingSalmanKhan- Get ready . Aa raha hai bada surprise ! #ComingSoon #BirthdaySurprise .
@priyankachopra – From my director to my actor but always my friend…Welcome to twitter @AshGowariker ! Show him some love twitterverse ❤️
@ShirishKunder – Wife always says, “Every tweet of yours is a gem”. So gifting her a tweet on our 12th Wedding Anniversary. Happy Anniversary, @TheFarahKhan!
– The crime-thriller ‘Wajah Tum Ho’, has collected INR 28.6 million at the ticket window as at Friday. Trade experts consider the collections to be low and the demonetization issue is one of the causes for the poor numbers. Directed by Vishal Pandya, the T-Series Films Productions’ stars Sana Khan, Sharman Joshi and Rajniesh Duggall in key roles. The reviews are mixed.
– According to official numbers, Aditya Chopra’s ‘Befikre’ has crossed the INR 500 million mark in India in its first week run. Overseas figures are still being compiled for Week 1.
Key Release Dates
The Ghazi Attack (Tapsee Pannu & Rana Daggubati) – 17 February 2017
Bhoomi (Sanjay Dutt) – 4 August 2017
Reload (Sidharth Malhotra & Jacqueline Fernandez) – 25 August 2017
Subh Mangal Saavdhan – 25 August 2017